These releases provide information on the change in the general level of prices for the productive sector of New Zealand.
The latest releases contain tables on:
- price indexes for outputs and inputs, with percentage changes
- selected commodity indexes.
Subscribe to our information releases.
Revisions to producers price index figures 8 March 2010
Revisions have been made to some producers price index (PPI) figures for the December 2009 quarter, originally published on 16 February 2010.
Dairy product and chemical prices received late in the processing cycle were not included in the originally published figures, but have been included in the corrected figures.
A new method for measuring change in farm-gate milk prices was introduced in the December 2009 quarter. The new method involves taking the most recently published figure for the forecast final milk payout, and showing movements in this figure on a quarterly basis. A correction has been made, as the PPI published on 16 February showed an increase from the final milk payout figure for the previous season to the latest available forecast payout for the current season, rather than from an earlier forecast figure for the current season.
Although the impact at the all industries level is small (3 index points for outputs and 2 index points for inputs), the all industries index numbers for the December 2009 quarter have also been corrected, to maintain consistency with the industry groups.
The following series are affected:
- agriculture, forestry, and fishing outputs (PPIQ.SUA)
- livestock and cropping farming outputs (PPIQ.SUA02)
- dairy cattle farming outputs (PPIQ.SUA03)
- other farming outputs (PPIQ.SUA04)
- manufacturing outputs (PPIQ.SUC)
- dairy product manufacturing outputs (PPIQ.SUC02)
- petroleum, coal, and basic chemical manufacturing outputs (PPIQ.SUC10)
- agriculture outputs (PPIQ.SUX01)
- food, beverages, and tobacco outputs (PPIQ.SUX05)
- chemicals, petroleum, and plastics outputs (PPIQ.SUX09)
- all industries outputs (PPIQ.SU9)
- manufacturing inputs (PPIQ.SNC)
- dairy product manufacturing inputs (PPIQ.SNC02)
- petroleum, coal, and basic chemical manufacturing inputs (PPIQ.SNC10)
- food, beverages, and tobacco inputs (PPIQ.SNX05)
- chemicals, petroleum, and plastics inputs (PPIQ.SNX09)
- all industries excluding administration, health, and education inputs (PPIQ.SN8)
- all industries inputs (PPIQ.SN9)
- dairy products (excl milk and cream) commodity (PPIQ.SC09).
The December 2009 quarter information release tables have been updated, and a revisions table has been attached. The revisions table gives the originally published and revised index numbers, quarterly percentage changes, and annual percentage changes. The revised index numbers are also available on Infoshare (under 'Economic indicators', 'Producers Price Index').
Producers Price Index quality improvement – 12 February 2009
An improvement has been made to the way the Producers Price Index (PPI) is compiled. The change, which relates to crude oil, affects the inputs index for the wholesale trade industry.
Crude oil is an important input to the wholesale trade industry. Movements in the import price index for crude oil are used in the PPI. Since 2003, these movements have been lagged by one quarter. For example, the movement for crude oil for the June 2008 quarter was used for the September 2008 quarter PPI.
Improvements made to Statistics New Zealand's index compilation practices mean that it is now possible to include the import price index provisional movement for crude oil in the PPI without a lag. Given the recent volatility of crude oil prices, it was important to remove the lag at the earliest opportunity. However, removing the lag for the December 2008 quarter PPI without revising the time series would have caused significant disruption to the latest quarterly and annual movements. Therefore, the time series have been revised back to the September 2003 quarter (when the lag was introduced).
The PPI outputs indexes are not affected by this change. The PPI inputs time series affected are:
- wholesale trade
- all industries, excluding administration, health, and education
- all industries.
The Producers Price Index inputs table gives the originally published and revised index numbers, quarterly percentage changes and annual percentage changes, from the September 2003 quarter to the September 2008 quarter. The revised index numbers are also available on Infoshare (under 'Economic indicators', 'Producers Price Index').
The December 2008 quarter PPI information release will be published on 16 February 2009.
Changes to the Farm Expenses Price Index – 17 December 2008
From the June 2004 quarter, the Farm Expenses Price Index tables have been included in the Producers Price Index information releases. The format and information in the tables have remained the same.
In August 2008, Statistics New Zealand advised that the Farm Expenses Price Index would be produced for one quarter each year instead of quarterly. This change is due to reprioritisation of some parts of Statistics NZ’s output programme. In November 2008, Statistics NZ advised that the Farm Expenses Price Index would be produced for the March quarter of each year only.
As of 17 December 2008, the Farm Expenses Price Index series for input types that feed directly into the Producers Price Index (Inputs) is available on a quarterly basis from Infoshare and INFOS. The overall Farm Expenses Price Index and input types that do not feed into the Producers Price Index will be produced for the March quarter of each year only.
The input types that will now be available quarterly (for all farms combined and for the individual farm types) are:
- animal health and breeding
- dairy shed expenses
- feed, grazing, cultivation and harvesting
- fertiliser, lime and seeds
- insurance premiums
- rent and hire
- repairs, maintenance and motor vehicle repairs
- packaging costs
- weed and pest control
- sub-total excluding livestock
- livestock purchases
- sub-total including livestock.
Source: Commodity Price Survey
Available from: June 1998
Next release: 16 November 2009
Geographic coverage: National
You can find previous releases dating back to September 2005 here. For releases prior to this please complete this request form.
Time series data can be accessed from the Infoshare database.
Subject category: Industry sectors
Group: Farm Inputs