In December 2011 compared with December 2010:
- Total guest nights rose 1.4 percent.
- North Island guest nights rose 3.9 percent, while South Island guest nights fell 2.0 percent.
- The Canterbury and Nelson/Marlborough/Tasman regions showed the largest falls in guest nights, while Auckland and Otago showed the largest rises.
- Guest nights rose for motels and holiday parks, but fell for backpacker accommodation and hotels.
For the year ended December 2011 compared with the year ended December 2010:
- Total guest nights fell 0.7 percent.
- The Canterbury region had by far the largest decrease in guest nights, and the combined yearly increases for Auckland, Wellington, and Waikato (which had the largest yearly increases of all regions) were more than offset by Canterbury's fall.
- Guest nights fell for hotels and backpacker accommodation, but rose for motels and holiday parks.
||10 February 2012
You can also view our releases on your smartphone.